Monday, February 11, 2013

What's Modest?

I've heard this question a million times and I've asked that same question:
Is showing your cleavage a sin? Can I wear loose pants? What is the best length of a skirt?
I could go on and on.
Growing up in a Christian home I saw ladies wearing frumpy, picking cotton, don't care dresses. It made my stomach curdle. I wanted to look nice and modest at the same time.
Soon after hitting puberty, my hips began to spread and I was officially a curvy black woman! My mom didn't want any of my curves to show, so I was forced to wear that over sized shirt that none of the teen girls wanted. Long sweaters and skirts that were 4 sizes too big. I didn't think it was modest I thought it was frumpy, dated and ridiculous! I argued with the "modesty" issue and never seemed to get the point. I knew that a lot of religions and cultures had their dress standards, but couldn't quite grasp the "Christian" modesty dress code. Mind you, I was never defiant or rebellious when it came to what I wore. I never would change into something else at a party, maybe at a sleepover, going to the store the in pajamas. Oops! I wasn't suppose to say that!
After getting married, my husband loved me but not my clothes. I thought, Finally! No more frump, frumps. I started wearing clothes that fit me. After joining my husbands church, I was now a youth pastor's wife and a choir member. Which meant I was in leadership: panty hose to church, no splits in my skirt, no sleeveless anything, no sandals to church. What?!?!
I have struggled with the dress code for my own selfish reasons. It took me out of my comfort zone, but I've come to grips that its not all about me.

No comments:

Post a Comment